Skip to main content

Being Productive

The aim of this post is to organize my ideas and also share 3 aspect of my day that I believe helps me to became more productive.


Pomodoro Technique
Since I first listen about the pomodoro technique I got  really interested in it. I always had the feeling that I could produce more if I work less. Since I started using it I came studying the physiological side of the technique and the more I use more I feel that I'm productive working less.


Organize the goals
But there's another point that I keep in mind, is that I have to produce a certain amount of work per day, and not necessary I have to work 8 hours per day to produce it. This is another rule that I try to follow, normally in the very begging of my day I ask myself: What do I have to do today? Normally I write the goals down in a piece of paper, then that becomes my goals for the day. I try to be fair to myself in the definition, I don't have to show it to any boss or manager, so if I put more work in the list than I can complete in one day I'm lying only to myself. When I started doing this, I had to do some extra-hours until get the felling of the right amount of work that I can achieve in one day.


Left the fun to the fun time.
I like to see videos during my day. I like to follow some updates in facebook. I also like to read my news feed. But I also have to work, so I normally do it in the pomodoro intervals or before/after work hours. It is just a matter of organizing your time. 


Work-life balance
I have to be feeling good to be productive. And it start way before the working hours. In my case it start with a good night of sleep. Unless I have an appointment in the early hours, I don't mind to run late in order to complete my sleep cycle.
Also the time with my friends/family has to be in order. Since I came back to São Paulo I manage to work from home 1 day per week, some weeks I can't do this, but this has shown very useful. Even more living in São Paulo, where you can easily expend 2 hours to drive from home to work. So normally I ask to do a home-office during the Fridays. And during the home-office time I keep following the others rules with Goals, Pomodoro. 


Passion for what I do
That, for sure, is the most important point, if you don't have, go! Seek your path.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Page Object Pattern + WebDriver + Spring

During the last week I had start creating a test suite for a existing web-application which my team is currently working on. So now is good time to share some experience: The application A normal old java web application: Java 1.4, Struts 1.1, EJB 2.1, JDBC to persist the data and the anemic design (VO+BO+DAO) but I will talk about in another post... Page Object Pattern To map the web page's components inside the test code I used the page object pattern. This patterns helped me to eliminate duplicated code to access web-page's components. Basically it consists of classes that maps web-pages, so that if you want to fill a login form from your test classes instead of doing this: @Test public void someTest() throws Exception { WebElement userNameField = driver.findElement(By.name("j_username")); userNameField.sendKeys(username); WebElement passwordField = driver.findElement(By.name("j_password")); passwordField

Thunderbird with Microsoft OWA in Ubuntu 11.10

So, you as I are tired of Evolution's problems in Ubuntu 11.10 ? Move on to Thunderbird... To have it working with Microsoft OWA following the these steps: Install DavMail Download and install  DavMail . It will act as a proxy between Thunderbird and your Microsoft webmail. Configure DavMail Some tips:  Exchange 2003: https://mail.company.com/exchange/ Exchange 2007 Webdav mode: https://mail.company.com/owa/ Exchange 2007 EWS mode: https://mail.company.com/owa/ Exchange 2010 EWS mode: https://mail.company.com/owa/ Exchange 2010 EWS mode with unsupported authentication form e.g. Windows Live login:https://mail.company.com/ews/exchange.asmx In my case as I'm behind a proxy I had to mark the option "Use system proxy settings" in the Proxy tab: Click save then you should see a message in your system tray, saying that DavMail is correctly configured. Configuring Thunderbird In Thunderbird main window click menu Fil

How to avoid losing a unused terminal command line

This morning I got a great tip... I typed a command in my terminal but I wanted to run another command before executing the line that I just typed without loosing the information in the current line. For instance: I typed in my terminal the command: git commit -am "Unit test for scenarios A, B and C" But I was not sure if I was committing just the scenarios A, B and C that I have changed, I would like to run a git diff before committing but also without losing my committing message... Then my friend Duck told me to put a # in the begging of the line and...  voilà! # git commit -am "Unit test for scenarios A, B and C" It transform the line in a comment, so that I could hit enter without executing the commit and that line went to my history so that I could recovery it. Thanks Duck.